A Business inquiry letter is a type of business letter written to communicate with a business organization to ask for information about specific jobs, products, or services. Usually, these letters are written in response to some kind of advertisement that you may have seen on television or the Internet. If you want to buy any product after seeing an advertisement but having trouble making up your mind, then you can write a product Inquiry letter to the organization to ask for more detailed information about the product. There are many types of inquiry letters, but two major types are product inquiry letters and job inquiry letter.
By writing an inquiry letter or email, you can ask the company to provide you a catalog or brochure with more details of their product. So, you can be sure about a certain thing before buying the product.
Business Inquiry Letter is written in a formal business letter format and should be straightforward, compact & precise.
A letter can be divided into a few basic sections for better understanding;
- A formal introduction needs to be used like “Dear Sir”, “Dear Ma’am” to start your letter. A formal introduction is required as you are not familiar with the recipient.
- A description of your request is required; it includes the reference of the advertisement and name of the product or service. After writing down the reference, you have to ask for the details you require about the product. You can also ask for a catalog or brochure to help you with the details. If you have some additional details to ask for, except for the information on brochures or catalogs, you can specifically ask for that information.
- A final summary can be written to explain your overall request.
- A Signature of your agency or yours in a very formal way.
Tips for writing a Business Inquiry Letter
- Keep your letter short and precise. Don’t mention unnecessary information in such letters. Be very specific about the information you need. If you put only the necessary details, then your letter will look more readable, and you will still be able to convey your message.
- If you are inquiring about a job or work-related vacancy, then you should try to properly start your letter with a professional but friendly tone. But always remember that rest of the letter should live up to the anticipation build by your impressive opening.
- You should know the exact source of your information. In an office, there are a number of people with dozens of different designations, and it is very important to know the appropriate recipient and direct your letter to him.
- You must research properly on the topic of your inquiry before you start writing the letter, to know as much as possible about your query.
Sample Letters & Examples
A Simple Inquiry letter to ask for information on a particular product
221 C Cake Street
5468 54th Street
I am writing to you in reference to your advertisement on The Daily Bugle, and I would like to receive a catalog about product X.
I would also like to know about some more details about the product.
John Smith (Signature)
Shelby Company Limited
Inquiry letter about Jobs or inquiry letter for funds can be lengthier, but the basic format to write the letter remains the same.