Sign-up sheets are used to collect attendee counts and information for events and are generally used by all sorts of organizations, from student-led nonprofits to multinational corporations. They are seen as a very simple way in which groups can get an RSVP count for events that they are planning, as well as collect basic information for communication regarding said events.
Many companies and organizations use pre-made sign up sheet templates to save time and gather all the information more effectively.
Through the course of this guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about sign-up sheets, including the basic contents, as well as help you devise your very own sign-up sheets in case you might require one in the future! Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about sign-up sheets!
Sign-up sheets are sheets of paper that allow people to sign up for an event. It typically contains some basic information on the event itself, such as date, time, and location, and allows signees to provide their contact information so that the organizers can keep them in the loop about any updates and provide all pertinent information.
For organizers, a sign-up sheet allows for accurate headcounts, which in turn makes planning and organization all the easier. Moreover, it makes the creation of things like mailing lists and texting groups that much easier, making them very important when organizing events, irrespective of scale.
What do I Need to Know Before Making a Sign-up Sheet?
Before you draw up your own sign-up sheet to promote an event, there are some tips you should consider. You should keep in mind that sign-up sheets aren’t necessarily for events that are finalized – instead, they can be used to gauge interest and reception to events that you are planning, study your audience, and by extension, a subject group to make future events more inclusive and to request feedback from people who have attended previous events. These are all things you should include in your sign up sheet templates to maximize its utility. Apart from that, here are some other tips you should consider;
- Make the sign-up sheet clean and easy to navigate, and avoid putting too much information on the paper. This will make it clutter-free and allow people to find exactly what they’re looking for.
- Use order when possible. This means that you should list names alphabetically, or spots numerically, so that people who are interested in engaging with your event are much more likely to take action and actually attend.
- Obtain permission to send emails or newsletters. Typically, sign-up sheets require people who sign up to actually put down their signature. Here, you can add a simple clause that requires them to give you permission to send them emails. This way, you’d have created an efficient and wide channel of communication with very little effort.
- Following up is the name of the game. Since you have the contact information of all the people who’ve signed up, and their permission to get in touch with them regarding the event, you can follow up to make sure everyone who can attend does attend.
Where a Signup Sheet can be Helpful
Following are a few uses of the sign up sheets:
- Record visitors’ information and useful details: There is a wide range of places in everyday life where visitors have to leave their details before they enter the premises. They may include offices and even residential areas. The sign-up sheet helps to know who was around and for how long they were. In case of any problem like theft or danger, at least it is known who was there. It also helps analyze the kind of visitors they receive.
- Record employees’ details, sign in and sign out: At the workplace, employers want to know who comes to work, when they come and when they leave. This way, the employer monitors the employees efficiently and at a glance on the sheet. By using the signup sheet the employer plan efficiently of a certain employee that helps in employee evaluation.
- Hospitals to make patients sign in and out: Hospitals management uses the signup sheet to evaluate the time the patients take to be served and leave the hospital. In this case, hospitals improve on service time delivery. The sign-up sheet at times helps them know the area where the patients come from thus understanding how far they cover.
- Students use it to sign the class attendance: Lectures always want to have 100% class attendance. this is when the signup sheet helps out. The signup sheet also helps the lecturers to get the details of those who have been attending the classes.
- Party, meeting and event attendees’ details for follow-up and feedback: People plan events and parties with the expectation to have high attendance. The signup sheet helps them at the entrance to know who had booked to be there and is not yet in. The sheet also helps make follow-ups after the event in case it was a workshop or training.
Creating a Sign up Sheet Template in MS Word
Following are a few steps involved in creating a sign up sheet template in MS Word:
Step 1: Open the Microsoft word and click insert table
When inserting the table has in mind the details you want to capture. The features you want to obtain help decide on the number of columns to add. For example, you need to have a name, email, phone number, and comment.
The number of people you target will determine the number of rows inserted. To add another row, click‘ enter’ and another row will be added automatically to have the number you need.
Step 2: Above the table type the name of the organization and any other necessary information.
Everyone gets satisfied and easily gives out their information if they know who there is giving and even the reason they are.
Step 3: Type the information you need to capture in the columns
The information like name, email, and signature is typed in the columns in bright color and easily readable type font to avoid misinformation. Bold the required details. Ensure there is enough space in the columns for smooth writing. Click, hold, and drag to the right to increase the area.
Step 4: Insert serial numbers.
On the inserted table, enter one on the columns field and on the rows enter your target number for example 50, and then enter. The numbering will be made clear and easy to conclude.
Step 5: Save the template in an editable format
The document is saved for later use, either print or use as a soft copy. The template can be saved as a pdf document or word document.
To add styles, right-click on the table then choose what to style, borders, colors, or font.
Creating a Sign Up Sheet Template in Excel
Here are simple steps to make a sign up sheet template in MS Excel
Step 1: Open a Microsoft excel blank workbook.
Step 2: Add the “form” command to enable you to work on the cells. To add it, click the file, then scroll down to choose commands from, all controls, form, then click ‘ok’ and then add it to the middle of the window.
Step 3: Type the information into the cells that you want to form the columns. The cells are named cells A, B, C. type the data you want to capture there. For example, name, email, phone number
Step 4: Click, hold and drag the caser to the top right of the column to create a header. Drag the columns to ensure they have enough space that will allow writing in case of print.
Step 5: Click on the “form” button formed near the redo button then type your data for the first row. When you are through with whatever you want to have in the first row, then click New on the right side to enter the written information in the spreadsheet.
Step 6: Whenever you click enter, another row is formed below the one already filled.
To edit the template to enter more information on the cells, click the “new button” and it will give another chance to enter more details. Click close to update the data in the cells.
Free Sign Up Sheet Templates
Why Choose Excel or Word for Sign up Sheet Templates
- Excel sign up sheet templates allows more interaction from different uses. This is because the excel data is online and can be accessed at the same time.
- It is easy to evaluate and analyze the data in excel than in word. Excel allows calculations hence quick to identify the trends.
- It carries a large amount of data compared to Word. The data is well organized so much can be covered.
- Excel sign up sheet templates can be styled into difference themed colors that make it more presentable.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make a sign up sheet template?
Making a sign up sheet template is very simple – Microsoft Excel will allow you to quickly and efficiently create one. For an in-depth guide into creating a sign up sheet template, refer to our guide above.
What is a sign-up sheet used for?
A sign-up sheet is used to gauge engagement and interest, as well as provide a headcount in anticipation of a particular event, and is used by organizations to also obtain contact information so that they can maintain an open line of communication with any and all potential attendees.
Can I use a sign-up sheet to get volunteers?
Absolutely! In fact, college students often use sign-up sheets for things like finding volunteers and subjects to participate in research experiments! Simply specify the purpose of the activity at the very top, and also make sure to highlight any potential rewards, such as credit or free meals at the top to make sure you attract as many volunteers as possible!