Peer evaluation or assessment offers a structured learning process for learners to critique and offer feedback regarding the work easily. This helps students in developing lifelong skills in evaluating and providing feedback to each other. Peer assessment also equips the learners with skills of self-assessment, leading to work improvement.
What is Peer Evaluation?
Peer evaluation is, therefore, is an assessment that allows students to assess each other’s performance properly. It is extremely valuable to help learners learn from each other by listening, analyzing, and offering a problem-solving solution. Thus, on the other hand, it offers learners a chance of encountering diversity in many ways. They also get to learn how to be responsible for their learning by coming up with clear judgments.
Why use Peer Evaluation
Peer evaluation can;
- Empower in taking up responsibilities and, at the same time, manage their learning.
- It enables students to study the right techniques for assessing and giving others constructive feedback to develop long-life assessment skills.
- It enhances the student’s learning through the exchange of ideas and knowledge diffusion.
- It helps in motivating the students to engage with the course materials more genuinely easily.
Consideration for using Peer Evaluation
- Let the students understand the rationale for doing the peer review. This includes explaining the benefits of taking part in a peer-review process.
- Consider the need for having the students evaluate anonymous assignments for more objective feedback.
- Always be prepared to offer the right feedback to the student’s feedback on each other. This includes displaying examples of quality feedbacks and discussing the ones that are useful and why.
- Provide a clear direction and the time limit for all the in-class peer reviews. You should also set defined rules and deadlines for the out of class peer evaluation assignments.
- Take your time, listen to the group feedback and discussions, and provide the right input and guidance.
- Student Ownership and familiarity of criteria tend to enhance peer evaluation validity easily. Therefore make sure you involve the student on the criteria used through a proper discussion. Make sure you involve your students in developing an assessment rubric.
Getting Started with Peer Evaluation
The beginning process for peer evaluation has to follow a certain guideline for the assessment to meet the set target. Some of the necessary steps involved with getting started with peer evaluation therefore include;
- Indenting the activities and assignments with which the students might greatly benefit from the peer feedback.
- Consider breaking the larger assignments into small pieces and incorporate peer assignment opportunities within every stage. For example, start with the assignment outline, followed by the first draft, the second draft, and many more.
- Make sure you also design guidelines or even rubrics that have a clearly defined task for the reviewers.
- Introduce the rubrics through learning practices ensuring that the students acquire the ability to apply the rubrics perfectly.
- Determine if the peer review activities will be carried out as an out-of-class or in-class assignment. For an out-class assignment, the peer evaluation should be facilitated through an online Turnitin.
- Ensure you help your students in carrying out peer evaluation through modeling appropriate and constructive criticism. Descriptive feedback using your comments on the work and a well-constructed rubric also helps make the entire process fruitful.
- Incorporate small feed-back groups where a written comment on the assignment can easily be explained and also discussed with different reviewers.
Free Forms & Templates
The Benefits of doing Peer Evaluation
- It encourages learners to reflect on each other work critically.
- It encourages students to take part in the assessment process effectively.
- Assists students in developing proper judgmental skills once they go through the work of the other group members.
- The students easily generate more feedbacks as compared to one or even tow teachers.
- Eliminates the workload and time of marking for the teacher.
- Discourages free-riders since students tend to put more effort to perform better in front of their peers.
- It helps in maintaining the fairness of assessment since everyone has the opportunity of assessing each other.
- The students learn how to evaluate criticism and apply the proper generic skills during the entire process.
- Students get the chance to learn more from each other.
While many tutors may not see the need for putting in place an effective peer evaluation approach, the fact remains that this is an effective approach that helps learners bring the best out of themselves. The approach has been attributed to many students’ successful results in places where it is being implemented. However, it is important to also keep in mind that friendship and peer pressure can influence the reliability of the grades being given by the students. You, therefore, have to be very keen on the right outcomes to be achieved.