A parent contact log is a communication tool normally used by teachers to keep the parents updated on the day to day activities in the classroom. A parent contact log helps in informing the parent on their kids’ behavior, success, and progress in class. It also aids in documenting all of the kids’ accomplishments and troubles they may get involved in. Even though the parent contact log can be a valuable tool for both the teacher and the parent, it is important to note that the information in the log should be important and informative of the kids’ behavior; else, the parent might lose interest and engagement. Basically, an effective parent contact log should contain the following:
- The name of the school/institution
- The child’s name
- The name of the parent/guardian responsible for the kid
- The relationship of the guardian to the kid
- The parents’/guardians’ contact number, which normally includes their phone number, e-mail contact, and address/house number
There are several reasons why teachers use a parent contact log. It is key for teachers to have this information easily accessible because:
- If the kid requires supervision in terms of their studies because they are failing, a meeting with their parent may only be set, should the adviser of the kid be able to contact them. Letting the kid communicate such matters to their parent may be too hard of a situation.
- If the kid is having behavioral issues, being referred for testing, or is struggling academically, as a teacher, you are required to provide such information to their parent. You may document in the log how often you communicated with them, what you talked about, and how their parents responded.
- Parents also need to be informed of their kids’ performance in both curricular and extracurricular activities. Having a parent contact log helps you keep track of the kids’ day to day activities for easy breakdown for the parent.
- A parent contact log also comes in handy in case of an emergency. Informing the parents of incidences that happen in school is very important and a great way of getting more information on what to do in such situations
- Events and other important activities must be reminded to the parents, especially if their kids are in preschool or if they are too young to remember all the events that they are required to inform their parents. A parent contact log will help you ensure that all parents are informed of such activities or events.
Parent Contact Log Sheet Templates
Keep in mind that as a parent, sharing your contact information with the teacher does not mean losing your privacy. It is more of an obligation so that you are assured that you are always there whenever you are required by the school for whatever situation that may arise.
A parent contact log is essential in building and strengthening the relationship between parents and teachers. Relationship building is an important part of the success of the kids, not just between the pupils but also between the teachers and the parents of the kids. Using a parent contact log goes a long way.